It’s Stanford Abandoned Bike Sale time! Though I’ve never been to one of these (and wonder what the quality is of a bike someone is willing to abandon) the price is right – all bikes are $30.
Here’s the info from the SUDPS website:
NEW PROCESS FOR STANFORD BIKE SALE
We are “testing” a new process with the hope of eliminating the long lines, thus saving our community member’s valuable time. Please review the following NEW steps below:
- Starting with the May 22nd sale, you must obtain a Bike Sale Ticket to enter the Bike Sale.
- Tickets may only be obtained the morning of the bike sale from 8:15am – 10:15 am or until all tickets have been issued.
- The number of tickets issued will match the number of bikes on sale.
- Bring your Stanford ID to the Stanford Police Department front desk, located at 711 Serra St. during the time noted above to receive a Bike Sale Ticket.
- Only those with a ticket and a Stanford ID will be admitted to the sale.
- At 11:45 a.m., bring your ticket and Stanford ID to the bike sale area at the intersection of Campus Dr. and Bonair Siding. A staff member will be there to assist you in lining up according to ticket number.
- Starting at NOON, individuals will be allowed into the Bike Sale area by number. Each individual will be given a few minutes to view and make a choice before the next individual(s) are allowed in.
- ***If you’re not in line when your number is called to view the bikes, you will be required to go to the end of the line.
Information Regarding the SUDPS Abandoned Bike Sales
All bicycles available for sale have been held for at least 90 days. After 90 days they are declared unclaimed abandoned property. There are a limited number of bikes in each sale, since many impounded bikes are in very poor condition. Each buyer completes a Release/Waiver form agreeing that the bike is sold “as is” with no guarantees, refunds, or liability from Stanford. Professional evaluation and repair of any purchased bike is encouraged for safety; and is the sole responsibility of the buyer.
Once the sale transaction is complete, the bike must be taken off the lot.